Classic Book Collections
Jason Evans
2021-10-22 18:58:25 UTC
Hi all,

Do any of you own any of the classic book collections? e.g. The Great
Books of the Western World or The Harvard Classics?

Jason
Rich Alderson
2021-10-22 22:36:58 UTC
Do any of you own any of the classic book collections? e.g. The Great Books
of the Western World or The Harvard Classics?
Wrong meaning of "Classics". This newsgroup is devoted to the academic field
(now often decried) which studies the languages and culture(s) of the speakers
of Latin and Ancient Greek.
--
Rich Alderson ***@alderson.users.panix.com
Audendum est, et veritas investiganda; quam etiamsi non assequamur,
--Galen
Jason Evans
2021-10-23 04:57:48 UTC
Post by Rich Alderson
Wrong meaning of "Classics". This newsgroup is devoted to the academic
field (now often decried) which studies the languages and culture(s) of
the speakers of Latin and Ancient Greek.
Thanks for the heads up. I found this also:

humanities.classics is an unmoderated newsgroup which passed its vote for
creation by 170:37 as reported in news.announce.newgroups on 5 Oct 1996.
This group supersedes sci.classics.

For your newsgroups file:
humanities.classics Discussion of ancient Greece and Rome.

The charter, culled from the vote result announcement:

For discussion of Classical Studies, especially, but not exclusively, the
study of Classical Greek and Roman culture, languages, history, and art.

Commercial posts unrelated to the field, flames, and spams are
discouraged, unless in Latin or Greek. Binary posts are prohibited.
Rich Alderson
2021-10-24 00:57:32 UTC
Post by Jason Evans
Post by Rich Alderson
Wrong meaning of "Classics". This newsgroup is devoted to the academic
field (now often decried) which studies the languages and culture(s) of
the speakers of Latin and Ancient Greek.
humanities.classics is an unmoderated newsgroup which passed its vote for
creation by 170:37 as reported in news.announce.newgroups on 5 Oct 1996.
This group supersedes sci.classics.
humanities.classics Discussion of ancient Greece and Rome.
For discussion of Classical Studies, especially, but not exclusively, the
study of Classical Greek and Roman culture, languages, history, and art.
Commercial posts unrelated to the field, flames, and spams are
discouraged, unless in Latin or Greek. Binary posts are prohibited.
Yes, I was one of the proposers of the humanities.classics newsgroup, and
indeed of the humanities.* newsgroup hierarchy, a quarter of a century ago.
The "especially but not exclusively" was intended to allow discussion of things
like etymologies, which could involve languages other than Greek and Latin as
evidence.

"Modern Classics" literature collections are still not relevant under that
charter...
--Galen
Jason Evans
2021-10-24 07:27:22 UTC
Post by Rich Alderson
Yes, I was one of the proposers of the humanities.classics newsgroup,
and indeed of the humanities.* newsgroup hierarchy, a quarter of a
century ago. The "especially but not exclusively" was intended to allow
discussion of things like etymologies, which could involve languages
other than Greek and Latin as evidence.
"Modern Classics" literature collections are still not relevant under
that charter...
I talked to Todd McComb last year about the humanities.* hierarchy and
how it was created. I wish we had more active newsgroups here. I would
love to see a humanities.classic-literature newsgroup someday if we could
get a community together who would use it.

I'm a member of the Big-8 board. Let me know if we can do anything for
you in the future.

Jason