"No, Science Will Never Make Philosophy Or Religion Obsolete"
g***@gmail.com
2020-06-30 08:49:25 UTC
https://www.forbes.com/sites/startswithabang/2020/06/30/no-science-will-never-make-philosophy-or-religion-obsolete/#477031bb5ef0
Faux Dameron
2020-07-03 19:08:31 UTC
Post by g***@gmail.com
https://www.forbes.com/sites/startswithabang/2020/06/30/no-science-will-
never-make-philosophy-or-religion-obsolete/#477031bb5ef0

Coming on nearly a century ago, Wittgenstein tried to reduce all
philosophy to linguistics (aka word games) and anything else couldn't be
spoken about.

Today philosophy, psychology, and religion are trying to be reduced to
mere neurology. Neurology as philosophy is truly suffocating and
oppressive. There can be no free will and no moral agency. We are all
diminished to being monkeys who hit each other with bigger sticks. There
can also be no hope.
Ed Cryer
2020-07-04 18:17:49 UTC
Post by g***@gmail.com
Post by g***@gmail.com
https://www.forbes.com/sites/startswithabang/2020/06/30/no-science-will-
never-make-philosophy-or-religion-obsolete/#477031bb5ef0
Coming on nearly a century ago, Wittgenstein tried to reduce all
philosophy to linguistics (aka word games) and anything else couldn't be
spoken about.
Today philosophy, psychology, and religion are trying to be reduced to
mere neurology. Neurology as philosophy is truly suffocating and
oppressive. There can be no free will and no moral agency. We are all
diminished to being monkeys who hit each other with bigger sticks. There
can also be no hope.
People like Paul Churchland claim that "folk psychology" will eventually
be replaced by a future neurology.
That includes more than just free will; it includes thoughts, feelings,
love and hate.

Thank God I won't live to see that. It sounds like the world where
Terminators get sent back to eliminate opposition.

Ed
v***@at.BioStrategist.dot.dot.com
2020-07-13 16:11:53 UTC
Feynman to National Science Teachers Association April 1966 "Science is
the belief in the ignorance of experts" (The Pleasure of Finding Things Out,
p.187). published in The Physics Teacher, volume 7, issue 6 (1969),
p. 313-320

As to psych, I have tried to synthesise in
http://www.panix.com/~vjp2/psytyp.txt

Further you have to understand the incentives. It behooves politicians to
hijack religion, psychiatry, economics, just about anything. Math may
provide fewer incentives, but they try there, too. You should not use this to
ignore that there are genuine truth seekers in each of those fields brave
enough to hold on. Newton, Darwin, Einstein would all freak out how
politicians try to infer conclusions they never intended.

- = -
Vasos Panagiotopoulos, Columbia'81+, Reagan, Mozart, Pindus
blog: panix.com/~vjp2/ruminatn.htm - = - web: panix.com/~vjp2/vasos.htm
facebook.com/vasjpan2 - linkedin.com/in/vasjpan02 - biostrategist.com