Greek simplicity v Latin Clutter
v***@at.BioStrategist.dot.dot.com
2020-11-02 04:35:05 UTC
Back in college, I often heard Greek simplicity contrasted to Latin clutter
(mostly from WASPy faculty who fancied themsevles "parsimonious yankees"). I
have subsequently gone back to look this up and only found it in Lang's Music
History book. Wondering if someone might provide more extensive reading.
Athos monastics can be pretty autarkic, but Greek culture has actually
changed a lot since Nicholas Biddle visited Ottoman Greece. (It is an irony
that occupied nations freeze their culture more than free ones.) In fact,
the late Stockton NJ prof Constantelos had told me that the "west" tried to
paganise post-1821 Greece to keep it from being to close to Russia and it
wasn't until the 1912 liberation of Thessalonike (Univ refounded 1925, with
an uncle of my mom's on the med fac) that Greece rediscovered its Byzantine
past.
--
Vasos Panagiotopoulos, Columbia'81+, Reagan, Mozart, Pindus
blog: panix.com/~vjp2/ruminatn.htm - = - web: panix.com/~vjp2/vasos.htm
Ed Cryer
2020-11-02 08:14:27 UTC
Post by v***@at.BioStrategist.dot.dot.com
Back in college, I often heard Greek simplicity contrasted to Latin clutter
(mostly from WASPy faculty who fancied themsevles "parsimonious yankees"). I
have subsequently gone back to look this up and only found it in Lang's Music
History book. Wondering if someone might provide more extensive reading.
Athos monastics can be pretty autarkic, but Greek culture has actually
changed a lot since Nicholas Biddle visited Ottoman Greece. (It is an irony
that occupied nations freeze their culture more than free ones.) In fact,
the late Stockton NJ prof Constantelos had told me that the "west" tried to
paganise post-1821 Greece to keep it from being to close to Russia and it
wasn't until the 1912 liberation of Thessalonike (Univ refounded 1925, with
an uncle of my mom's on the med fac) that Greece rediscovered its Byzantine
past.
I studied Latin and Greek at university in Britain, but I never heard this.

If I were to look into it, it would be as a newboy, and hence not very
helpful.
All the best,
Ed
v***@at.BioStrategist.dot.dot.com
2020-11-10 20:33:50 UTC
*+-I studied Latin and Greek at university in Britain, but I never heard this.

Thanks. Exactly my state of enbafflement