Building Name???
David Amicus
2020-12-04 17:26:14 UTC
What was the building called where the processional chariots were kept on the Capitoline?
Ed Cryer
2020-12-05 10:32:15 UTC
Post by David Amicus
What was the building called where the processional chariots were kept on the Capitoline?
Hello, David. It's good to hear from you again. I was starting to think
we'd lost you. I'd really miss the trips through the classical world
that you take us on.

I couldn't find the answer here, so I'll have to limit myself to guides.
Firstly, there's a superb scale model of Rome here; a close-up of the
Capitoline down the page;
https://bit.ly/3lLB7WA

And then there's Mary Beard's book, which I haven't read, but I know
about her scrupulous rigour: and if anybody knows, she will;
https://amzn.to/36JtprX

Ed
Ed Cryer
2020-12-07 19:18:04 UTC
Post by Ed Cryer
Post by David Amicus
What was the building called where the processional chariots were kept on the Capitoline?
Hello, David. It's good to hear from you again. I was starting to think
we'd lost you. I'd really miss the trips through the classical world
that you take us on.
I couldn't find the answer here, so I'll have to limit myself to guides.
Firstly, there's a superb scale model of Rome here; a close-up of the
Capitoline down the page;
https://bit.ly/3lLB7WA
And then there's Mary Beard's book, which I haven't read, but I know
about her scrupulous rigour: and if anybody knows, she will;
https://amzn.to/36JtprX
Ed
I've looked into this, and come to the conclusion that there were no
official triumphing chariots. Nothing like, say, Elizabeth Regina's
Coronation Coach.
They just decorated some chariot as needed at the time, be it with
Cupids or pulled by lions or whatever.

I don't think the triumphing general drove up the Capitoline steps. He
got off, walked up and joined the priests of Jupiter for a prepared
sacrifice of a heifer inside, with the statue of Jupiter Optimus
Maximus; while the captured enemy chieftains had been taken to the
Tullianum for ritual strangulation.

If you think differently, let us know.

Ed
David Amicus
2020-12-08 01:50:01 UTC
Post by Ed Cryer
Post by Ed Cryer
Post by David Amicus
[...]
Mustn't forget the elephants of the Divine Claudius.

I was in the hospital for while.
Ed Cryer
2020-12-08 12:30:51 UTC
Post by David Amicus
Post by Ed Cryer
Post by Ed Cryer
Post by David Amicus
[...]
Are you feeling like an old triumphing imperator after recovering? A
zestful appetite for life?
I had a stay in hospital some years back, and was euphoric for several
months afterwards.

Ed