Apollo Atop A Column?
David Amicus
2020-09-27 22:48:42 UTC
https://www.pinterest.com/pin/390898442661910889/visual-search/

Anyone know where the column is?
Ed Cryer
2020-09-28 07:19:02 UTC
Post by David Amicus
https://www.pinterest.com/pin/390898442661910889/visual-search/
Anyone know where the column is?
Athens, the Academy.
--
Ed
Ed Cryer
2020-09-28 14:49:49 UTC
Post by Ed Cryer
Post by David Amicus
https://www.pinterest.com/pin/390898442661910889/visual-search/
Anyone know where the column is?
Athens, the Academy.
I think it's a rather poor Apollo. Not in the same room as the Belvedere
Apollo;
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apollo_Belvedere

Mind you, Michelangelo's David puts both in the shade;
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_(Michelangelo)

Ed
David Amicus

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Academy_of_Athens_(modern)
Ed Cryer
2020-09-29 17:54:34 UTC
Post by David Amicus
Post by Ed Cryer
Post by Ed Cryer
Post by David Amicus
https://www.pinterest.com/pin/390898442661910889/visual-search/
Anyone know where the column is?
Athens, the Academy.
I think it's a rather poor Apollo. Not in the same room as the Belvedere
Apollo;
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apollo_Belvedere
Mind you, Michelangelo's David puts both in the shade;
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_(Michelangelo)
Ed
Thank-you!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Academy_of_Athens_(modern)
I think I prefer the Athena on the other column. I grew up with our UK's
Britannia as an image, and found out late in life that the warrior
maiden ran all through western history; not least in Wagner's Ring Cycle as
Brünnhilde the Valkyrie.

Ed
Ed Cryer
2020-09-29 18:20:15 UTC
Post by Ed Cryer
Post by David Amicus
Post by Ed Cryer
Post by Ed Cryer
Post by David Amicus
https://www.pinterest.com/pin/390898442661910889/visual-search/
Anyone know where the column is?
Athens, the Academy.
I think it's a rather poor Apollo. Not in the same room as the Belvedere
Apollo;
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apollo_Belvedere
Mind you, Michelangelo's David puts both in the shade;
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_(Michelangelo)
Ed
Thank-you!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Academy_of_Athens_(modern)
I think I prefer the Athena on the other column. I grew up with our UK's
Britannia as an image, and found out late in life that the warrior
maiden ran all through western history; not least in Wagner's Ring Cycle as
Brünnhilde the Valkyrie.
Ed
For a society that kept its women under wraps, in the back rooms with
the children and slaves, where did their patron goddess come from?
Surely not from Sparta, where the women were far more enfranchised!
But I have a memory ingrained from some ancient reading, about sailors
rounding cape Sounion to Athens' south, and being guided in by the sun
gleaming off Athena's shield on the Acropolis;
https://bit.ly/3n2HcQA

And a thought occurs to me about when Spartan hoplite armies came
marching into Attica up through the Corinthian isthmus, bent on
destruction of an enemy. Did they see Athena standing like a front-line
soldier, menacingly and rather beautifully, up on the high rock? And did
some think "Blimey! Let's go back and get the corn in?"

Ed
David Amicus
2020-09-30 14:06:31 UTC
Post by Ed Cryer
Post by Ed Cryer
Post by David Amicus
Post by Ed Cryer
Post by Ed Cryer
Post by David Amicus
[...]
Very interesting! Thanks!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Athena_Promachos
Ed Cryer
2020-09-30 18:13:13 UTC
Post by David Amicus
Post by Ed Cryer
Post by Ed Cryer
Post by David Amicus
Post by Ed Cryer
Post by Ed Cryer
Post by David Amicus
[...]
This one is rather amusing; 1783, American loyalists seeking aid from
good old Britannia;
https://bit.ly/36lqjKI

Ed
Ed Cryer
2020-10-01 18:18:40 UTC
Post by Ed Cryer
Post by David Amicus
Post by Ed Cryer
Post by Ed Cryer
Post by David Amicus
Post by Ed Cryer
Post by Ed Cryer
Post by David Amicus
[...]
This USA Parthenon;
https://bit.ly/34f2fXn
strikes me as very good. The columns with their fluted, tapering cut
give it the appearance of hanging from the sky, rather than holding it
up. 1897. OK, so we didn't know about the painting of ancient monuments
at the time, and we/they had that image of plain white marble everywhere.

However, the statue of Athena inside;
https://bit.ly/2Gk1owx
looks utterly gormless. That's no classical Greek goddess; that's a New
York waitress staring into some misty haziness of the unknown and unknowing.
"Is youze wantin' a toppin' on yer Big mac?"

Ed
David Amicus
2020-10-05 17:45:23 UTC
Post by Ed Cryer
Post by Ed Cryer
Post by David Amicus
Post by Ed Cryer
Post by Ed Cryer
Post by David Amicus
Post by Ed Cryer
Post by Ed Cryer
Post by David Amicus
[...]
I have been to the Parthenon in Nashville back in the late 1980s before the statue was gilded.